Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Young Romance

I am writing this post mainly because I want to remember it in 10 or 20 years, and show it to our son.

For some time our older son has professed his interest in a young lady at his school. For Valentine's day he prepared a box of homemade chocolate lollipops and a wonderful, candid, handwritten love note. In the note he professed his love for her, and why he did love her. He read us the note a few days before and I recall it was wonderful. It began with "I am writing you this note to tell you that I love you" and it ended with the exact same phrase - very well done, I thought. In between he reminded her when they first met ("you remember, I walked into class crying"), and that they both wore eye glasses, and many other cute things that I can't remember. This note was delivered to the house of the young lady on the evening of Valentine's Day. Unfortunately, she was not at home, but the Mother promised to deliver the items.

A few nights later the Mother called our home and conveyed the fact that the daughter was not happy with this profession of love. She preferred to be a friend instead, and did not like the contents of the note. Furthermore, the Mother indicated that 'we do not encourage this kind of behavior'. My wife, who took the call, answered that we encourage our children to be affectionated and the letter was consistent with that behavior.

I fully understand if this girl is not interested in our wonderful son. However, I cannot understand the 'we do not encourage this kind of behavior' comment of the Mother. What kind of behavior? Writing notes? For Pete's sake, the kids are 10 years old - it's basically meaningless. What will the parents do when the children are a few years older and become seriously interested in such matters? Will they not be permitted to interact, and thus grow up cold and lifeless?

This is all so bewildering because they are so young and it means nothing. I think it's awfully cute. I wonder if the poor child has been so stifled by the parents that she cannot respond meaningfully to such an overture.

It will be very interesting to look back on this in coming years.

No comments: