Sunday, February 13, 2005

Leaving the nest

During our visit to Sedona, AZ over Thanksgiving 2004, we were having dinner in the hotel when an interesting event transpired. We were seated at our usual corner table, and this evening an elderly couple was next to us - both in their late sixties or early seventies, she in a wheelchair. Shortly after we ordered I noticed them getting up to leave, and suddenly the lady was next to me, reaching for my hand and introducing herself. She told me that it was so wonderful to see a family together, and began to explain that their children were grown and long gone, and I suppose they both missed doing things with them. We chatted for a while; he is a retired architecture Professor, and he was very much enjoying traveling.

I guess I did not appreciate their angst until tonight, when I was reminded that soon our children will leave, and our wonderful times together will end. It is something to cherish now; I believe I do but I wonder if there is something more I could do to appreciate it. I asked my seven year old boy tonight what I would do when he left; he said that I could come with him, or that he would allow me to see my grandchildren. We have such good times together, and they want to be with us so much, it is hard to look forward to the time when that will no longer happen.

I realize this happens to everyone, but again, everyone is different. I wonder how others cope. Of course, we do have at least eight years in the case of our older one, but still, it bothers me a great deal when I dwell on it.

No comments: