Monday, November 17, 2008

Solution to corrupt WAV

This past Friday my Zoom H4 battery died in the middle of recording TWiV #8. I had the recorder plugged into AC power, but the outlet strip was turned off. I turned on the power and we resumed recording. However, later that day, when I downloaded the .wav file from the H4, it would not open in Audacity or QuickTime. It was corrupted because it hadn't been saved properly when the H4 lost power.

The solution came from a google search: open the file from within Audacity as a 'raw' file. It opened properly and was completely editable. Saved. I didn't want to lose the nice conversation Dick and I had.

So in case this happens to anyone else, or if you have a corrupted audio file of any kind, try opening it in your DAW as a raw file.

No comments: